I am a Brazilian journalist, specialized in science, health, technology and environment. Since 2009, I have been working as a science reporter writing and producing multimedia material for both print and web, mostly for Ciência Hoje and Onco&.
I also have experience in photography and in shooting and editing movies. Communicating science for kids is also one of my passions. In the last years I have been writing stories specially for kids using videos and games for engaging.
My focus is on science made in Brazil, but I write about international studies and issues as well. Since my career started I have had the opportunity to travel many times abroad in order to cover international meetings and events related to science, health, environment and technology.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2013 – AAAS/Eurekalert! Fellowship for International Science Reporters
- 2012- Fellow of the Medical Evidence Bootcamp at the Knight Science Journalism Program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- 2012- 2ND place Award of Health and Science Journalism provided by the Association of Hospitals of Rio de Janeiro (SindhRio)
- 2012 – Finalist of the HSBC Award for Press and Sustainability because of the Rio+20 coverage
June 2015 and 2016 – ASCO Meeting
Covered the Annual Meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology in Chicago for Onco& magazine, producing online stories, video interviews and a daily newsletter aimed to doctors.
January 2013 – Selected among hundreds of journalists from Latin America to cover the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Annual meeting in Boston as part of the AAAS/Eurekalert! Fellowship for International Science Reporters. The opportunity resulted in seven articles published online and some notes published in Ciência Hoje printed magazine.
December 2012 – Selected by the World Health Organization (Who) to receive a grant to cover the 2nd Global Symposium on Health Systems Research in Beijing, China. The trip resulted in six stories about health systems, medicine and health research published online and a feature about health systems around the world published in Ciência Hoje printed magazine.
January 2011 – Selected to visit the European Southern Observatory’s facilities at the Atacama desert, Chile, with others journalist from Brazil. As result of this trip five stories about astronomy, science policies and telescope technologies were published at Ciência Hoje On-line.
PARTICIPATION IN EVENTS
- American Association of Hematology Annual Meeting – ASH (2017)
- American Association of Clinical Oncology Annual Meeting – ASCO (2016, 2017)
- United Nations Climate Summit 2014; in New York, USA (2014)
- 6th World Science Forum; in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (2013)
- 10 th International Polar Week; in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (2013)
- Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS); in Boston, USA (2013)
- 65th Annual Meeting of the Brazilian Society for the Advancement of Science; in Recife, Brazil (2013)
- The 33rd International Cosmic Ray Conference (ICRC); in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (2013)
- United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development (Rio+20); in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (2012)
- 2nd Global Symposium on Health Systems Research; in Beijing, China (2012)
- 63rd Annual Meeting of the Brazilian Society for the Advancement of Science; in Goiânia, Brazil (2011)
- XIV International Conference on Atmospheric Electricity (ICAE); in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (2011)
- 32th Brazilian Congress of Psychiatry;, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (2011)
SOME TOPICS OF INTEREST
Health and medicine, environmental conservation, sustainable development, astronomy and physics, space exploration, polar science, science policy, data journalism, archeology, indigenous and traditional communities, history.
For my complete resume in portuguese, click here.